Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hunting



For a millennium, Tokyo has endured a cycle of earthquakes, which take place every 75 years. The effects of these earthquakes have historically been devastating. The last one struck in 1923, killing more than 140,000 people. According to this historic cycle, if you do the math, you’ll notice that Tokyo’s next big earthquake is long overdue.

As the search for our new apartment in Tokyo continues, I can’t help keeping this creepy earthquake info in mind. It has really changed my criteria. With each building we check out, I wonder if the sucker will hold its own in a heavy shake. Rather than getting excited about great kitchens, views, or grandiose common spaces, I’m turned on by low-level complexes, emergency exits, and units on the first or second floor. Hopefully we’ll be able to find everything we want, in a nice, safe building.

3 comments:

Krystin said...

That place looks really nice, and earthquake or not, you know you need a good kitchen.

Try not to focus too much on the things you can't control - that's something I am really trying to work on...New Years Resolution #3.

I miss you like crazy!

Robin said...

Did you feel the earthquake the other day? I heard about it on NPR and thought of you!

Bonnie said...

No earthquakes yet.