Monday, April 9, 2007

Back In Tokyo



It sure is nice to be back in Tokyo. Spring is looking good – the sun is out, and fragrant, blooming trees line the streets. I stepped off the plane and was immediately reminded of the easy, calm culture here; the efficiency and quality in service; the clean, well maintained, and always punctual busses and trains; the quaint neighborhoods filled with cafes and flower shops; the people walking around, well cared for, and very polite! The system seems to be working, which is pretty outstanding considering Tokyo is one of the most populated cities in the world.

I’m not sure if this will make sense to people, but the feeling I have returning from the US to Tokyo is similar to the feeling I get when returning from Mexico to the US. On many different levels, things (general organization, law enforcement, business/customer service ethic, economy, social programs, gracious & respectful public interaction) in Tokyo feel much more advanced, which kicks up the quality of life. I noticed during my trip home that things in the US seem unfortunate in a way that I never really noticed before. Obesity, street addicts, crime, understaffed & chaotic businesses, and poverty were all things that really stood out to me on this trip home.

I was sad to hear that the friendly guy who worked at my favorite convenience store on Belmont had been the victim of a violent robbery. He was recently shot in the head and paralyzed from the neck down. Standing in line at the pharmacy was a real eye opener, too. As I waited for an hour and a half (!) for Walgreens to fill my prescription, I began to take a look around at the other people waiting in line. People's clothes, which hardly fit them due to their morbid obesity, were tattered and raggedy. A pregnant woman standing in front of me was having a hard time. She was 6.5 months pregnant, having premature contractions, and couldn’t afford the medication prescribed to her by her doctor, which was intended to stop the contractions. Yikes! What’s happening to the US? When did it get to be so easy for people to spiral into such vulnerable and desperate positions? It makes me sad because I love Portland.

When I came to Tokyo, I expected a little culture shock; however, I wasn’t prepared for the intense culture shock I experienced coming back to the US after only being gone 4 months.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I'm sad I didn't get to talk to you while you were back in the US. How strange that the next time I see you I will have a little Papoose strapped to me! He cannot wait to meet the lovely Bonnie!

I miss you, girl.

Krystin said...

Nicely said Bonnie. What do you think it is that makes Japan so unique? Is it the fact that they have a cultural understanding that they are not the center of the universe?

I bet plays a big part. Maybe I should move to Japan.

Krystin said...

Besides, my English is terrible.