Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 45, Tokyo

Sorry, it’s been awhile since my last post. It’s strange posting from Tokyo. There are so many things I want to show and say. Sometimes it seems too hard to sift and choose, so I don’t end up posting anything at all.

I’ve been a mad lady lately, moving into our new pad. Tokyo has its own version of Target. It’s called Muji and it’s really nice. Everything there is designed and made in Japan. I went to Muji in Shibuya 4 times last week. I bought a washer, refrigerator, vacuum, coat rack, lamps, stuff & more stuff. There is ONE guy there who knows my address and me. This is very important because I don’t know how to write down my address in Japanese. I seek this guy out. He ducks behind the aisles when he sees me coming. He must think I’m nuts, showing up 4 days in a row pointing at the catalog, “I like, please. Do you keep? Can I take?” He’s a good sport. He laughs at my requests. We draw pictures in an effort to communicate. He says, “Ah, yes, you to buy? Okay, prease have seat, prease, so, you to buy and derivery anoda?”

Friday morning, our Muji stuff was all delivered, along with our US shipment. Friday afternoon we took off for a 3-day weekend in Kyoto. Today, I’m knee deep in our shipment, which is covering our apartment floor(s). We shipped a lot of stuff. I’m not sure what we were thinking. Perhaps we had high hopes of squeezing our belongings from our 2400-square-foot house into a 600-square-foot apartment. I may have to make an executive decision to toss some of this stuff before Driscoll gets home from work.

My hand is now bleeding from breaking down boxes. Next time we move across the friggin planet, I think we’ll leave most of our belongings behind. In the future, I'll remember that If we really need to cozy up a pad, there’s always some Muji-like store chalk full of accessories.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Post some Muji photos! I LOVE Muji, I stalked it when we went to Paris and did you know they have a Muji outpost at MOMA in NYC? I love how everything at Muji is basically just itself, not branded or having tons of bells & whistles. Just good design.

Ingrid said...

MUJI! I'm wearing my Muji ballet flats today. You should try the lip balm. It's amazing. No, seriously.

Good luck with your move! Wish I could be there to help.

Bonnie said...

I'm pretty sure that when translated, Muji actually means no brand, or brandless. Their stuff is perfect for simplifying a space filled with lots of color and shapes.